The Harmony & Horses program is dedicated to strengthening children, families, and individuals through the use ofEquine Assisted Activities & Therapy, an innovative and highly effective treatment modality that integrates horses into the therapeutic process. The relationship between horses and humans is thousands of years old, and the power of the horse has long been a source of inspiration for people throughout the world. The process of partnering with horses to promote emotional growth and learning while helping to facilitate healing in children and families through Equine Assisted Activities has now gained national recognition.
Horses are social creatures. They are curious, interactive, and have a need for attachment. Horses perform specific roles within their herds, and their natural behaviors as part of a herd are similar to the way that humans interact within families. This provides a great opportunity to develop metaphors, observe behavior patterns, and create an arena for positive growth, learning and change.
Professionally facilitated Equine Assisted Activities is an experiential type of learning & therapy, meaning that clients gain insight by participating in structured activities with the horses, and then processing their experience with our professionally certified clinicians. By relating their experiences with the horses to other people and issues in their lives, our clients begin to examine their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, resulting in positive change.
Equine Assisted Activities and Therapy offers the following benefits:
- Creates a safe, motivating environment for learning & healing
- Builds the therapeutic relationship between the horse, child, parents, and staff
- Fosters a child’s ability to form healthy, secure attachments
- Teaches empathy and encourages responsibility
- Enhances a child’s problem-solving and communication skills
- Empowers and gives a sense of self-efficacy
- Develops social skills
- Promotes both teamwork and individual leadership